It is up to us parents to raise our kids’ safety awareness.
If we adults do not know how to Stay Prepared for an emergency, the kids would be worse off.
Here are some of the basic things which we teach our kids :
1) In the event of a fire.
– evacuate everyone outside
– ask neighbours to call 995
– if fire is huge, head for staicase escape route, walk down the stairs
Kids must know where are the keys, and tall enough to open the doors and run outside.
(We have to assume that adults might be unconscious)
Video : Dry run – Kids walking down HDB staircase
2) Do we know what to do if someone suffers a burn, cut or fall?
Do we know how to apply first aid? (Boon Kang’s bad fall)
Ideally, someone in the home is trained with First Aid. This life saving skill can be helpful in a community.
We need to improve our civic mindfulness too. Some of us have the “not my business” or “someone will do it” mentality. We often heard stories of how vehicles refuse to give way to ambulances !
Video : Look at how Germany give way to emergency services
More information about First Aid
– SCDF courses (Learn about First AID, CPR, AED)
– refer poster above, do check with your RC or CC whether they have First Aid awareness courses
– Rapid Rescue App, sends a signal to the nearest First Aider (not available for Android)
3) Do we have a First Aid box at home?
Do we know what to keep inside a First Aid box?
4) Besides the First Aid box, an Emergency Grab Bag will come in useful too.
More about Stay Prepared campaign.
During a war, or terrorist attack, how do we respond? How do we keep in contact?
Some of the things which we take for granted :
– FM radio
– can opener (during Reservist, we realised cocktails cans are useless without the can opener!)
Sometimes, we always assume that Somehow Someone will know Something!
(or worse, government will handle everything)