Beer belly and hair loss are some of the banes of an aging man.
Dad bod might be a good excuse for the absence of six packs, but receding hairline are harder to conceal.
#JustSaying There goes my esteem and image :p
My hair was thinning at the front, but I was still in a state of denial.
Clifford Clinic provided an assessment for me, and highlighted my hairline condition.
Once you see the receding hairline, you cannot unseen it, Ouch!
That was how I came across “Hair Transplant”. Most of us will not Google for “Hair Transplant” unless we have a hair issue!
I have heard of skin grafting (due to burns) or tissue transplant before, but not hair transplant. In the aesthetics and wellness industry, hair treatment might mean herbal implants or massaging, or other growth techniques. Hair Transplant was something new to me (read more here).
As an overview, hair transplant involves “transplanting” our own hair follicles (roots or hair strands) to the affected area. Each follicle can contain one to three strands.
Generally, the hair (follicles) distribution is in this order. Most of the strands infront are single or double strands. The top part of our scalp will have more concentration of double and triple strands. The densest strands (3 or 4) will be at the back.
Logically, the weaker (single or double) strands will drop off first when we age, and the hairs at the back are usually more durable.
Hair Transplant technology will harvest the follicles from the rear and implant them to the front.
The old method (strip method) would involve cutting whole strips from the scalp (rear) and grafting them to the front. It sounds painful, recovery time is longer and it leaves a permanent scar.
FUE (Follicular unit extraction) is the new Hair Transplant technique for hair transplant, and this technique has been in use for the past 15 years.
D-Day, let me share what happened during my hair transplant procedure
The FUE hair transplant process has two phases, Harvesting and Implanting. The duration would depend on the amount of grafts to be transplanted.
For serious balding, it might take up to 6 or 8 hours to transplant up to 4000 grafts! My procedure took about 4 hours, 1000 grafts.
Phase 1 – Harvesting
Suitable patches are identified at the back of my head
Local anaesthesia is applied
The hair graft (together with roots) is pluck out and sorted
4.Grafts are separated into different sections, depending on the number of strands. Dr Chow highlighted that not 100% of transplanted grafts will be successful, but majority will regrow.
The Hair Transplant experience feels a bit like ant bite, or plucking of white hair. Local anaesthesia minismised any discomfort and pain. You can literally feel each graft plucked out, left to right, row by row, but it was not painful at all.
As the process is time consuming, I was encouraged to take a nap.
You can trust Clifford Clinic’s experienced Hair Technician.
As I was facing down, I could only imagine what the Hair Technician was doing to my scalp. It is amazing how Science and Technology has allowed Hair Transplant to be done so efficiently (and neat too).
My Hair Transplant illustration.
Phase 2 – Implanting
Local anaesthesia is applied to the forehead area
Small holes are punctured at forehead “recipient” site
Hair technician will implant the harvested graft one by one into the small holes
With nimble fingers, the grafts swiftly cover the donor area
Do take note both Phase 1 and Phase 2 will have a small amount of bleeding. Hair Transplant is still an invasive op, even though the depth is only a few millimetres.
A few bare patches might be visible at the back of my head, but surrounding hair will soon cover up the gaps.
What can you expect after a Hair Transplant?
-Minimum swelling around donor area can be expected. Pain killers and antibiotic will be given to alleviate the condition.
-I had to spray the donor area with saline to keep area hydrated. This would help ensure higher survivability of transplanted grafts. Stem cell serum would be applied to encourage new tissues growth.
-The donor area near forehead will feel tender, and as the tissues heal, itchy. Crust at the forehead will harden and drop off by the second week.
-No vigorous sports within the first 2 weeks
-For the first month, No swimming and only use baby shampoo. The adult shampoo might have chemicals which can impede the newly planted grafts.
What I like about FUE Hair Transplant technique is the minimum downtime and discomfort. I can go back to my normal lifestyle very quickly. Friends and colleagues might not even notice the Hair treatment.
Some photos below to show you how my hair “transformed” over the days.
Scarring of tissues on forehead (recipient area) after harvesting is normal. It is not painful, but might be itchy.
Day by day, it is a miracle to see the grafts settle into new donor area, and start to grow. Do take note this initial growth is temporary, as the new hair will drop again. Once the transplanted grafts are fully ingrain (perhaps up to 6 months), the hair will grow strong and black 🙂
Why should you consider Hair Transplant ?
-FUE Hair Transplant is suitable for folks who encounter mild “receding hair”.
-This is the only permanent solution to our hair situation. Seek a consultation with your Hair Doctor.
-Cost is an important factor when you choose your preferred hair transplant method and Doctor. You literally pay per strand, sample Clifford Clinic is $4 per graft (for a 1000 graft transplant procedure).
-Clifford Clinic’s “No Downtime Hair Transplant” treatment means no downtime for busy executives. You can go back to meetings and colleagues might not even notice the minor procedure.
-Shaving of hair is not necessary for FUE treatment
-More details about Clifford Clinic’s treatment (and fees) at this link and Dr Chow’s own experience.
Regain your glorious hair and esteem. I am eagerly looking forward to my new hair line.
This would not be possible without Clifford Clinic’s expertise. Experience Doctors will make a difference in your final decision.
Do make an appointment for a no obligation consultation today, call Clifford Clinic at 6532 2400.
Vasectomy does not reduce your sexual performance nor your manliness.
One recent topic in Daddy Matters (closed FB group) requested for “Vasectomy reference”. The subject raised a lot of pent–up (pardon the pun) questions.
We guys sometimes wondered about Vasectomy (结扎), the benefits and comparison with ligation. We wanted to hear from someone who had done it before, as we are curious about potential side effects.
It is a hush hush topic as we usually do not go around asking our colleagues, neighbours or kopi kakis about birth control, more specifically sterilisation. It is just not in guys’ DNA to talk about Family Planning (Asia is still quite conservative, and in some societies, male-sterilisation is taboo)
The Dads discussed about the pros and cons of Vasectomy, doctors (Urologist) reference, and surgical fees. The online feedback was fruitful, blunt and honest, yet reserving some level of privacy.
I would find it hard to discuss birth control face to face, too much intimacies to reveal :p
Vasectomy : It is not only about our manhood and mojo (libido)
Man’s health and family planning, Vasectomy might not be suitable for everyone. I hope this blog post will clear some doubts and raise awareness about the benefits.
Perhaps, more husbands will be encouraged to take a snip for the wife and family 🙂 (In case you are still clueless, Vasectomy is sterilisation for Man, there is an image under FAQ Section)
Ligation, Pill, Condom, Vasectomy etc
(withdrawal method is not birth control :p )
I did my Vasectomy back in 2009. It took me so long to blog about my experience as I am a conservative chap.
(Hint: Try not to YouTube Vasectomy as the procedure can be very graphic, I still feel uncomfortable at the thought of someone manhandling my testicles)
Most chaps (and even females) might assumed Birth Control equal Ligation. Some will expect the Mrs to stitch (ligate) after the last child’s birth.
Our spouse has to undergo the pain and trauma of childbearing, I truly believe we HUSBANDS can afford to take a few stitches for our darlings!
Read on if you wish to discover more about birth control options for the family.
1) Vasectomy Myths
– Although we are in 21st century, there are still a lot of myths about Vasectomy. Come on, go Google for the truth.
– This procedure is very common in Europe and US
– It is not castration (physical or medical), and procedure will not make you an eunuch (公公) !
– The procedure will not harm your manhood nor libido, and your testosterone level will not be affected.
– Vasectomy will not cause erectile dysfunction and you can still fulfill a husband’s sexual duties.
Let me share why your sexual experience might improve too.
2) Advantages of Vasectomy
– Faster recovery compared to ligation, and less side effects. Tying the fallopian tubes immediately after childbirth might be less effective
– Vasectomy is cheaper and faster (2 to 3 hours) compared to ligation
– Technically, the man is “infertile” as the tubes (vas deferens) carrying the sperm had been sealed/snipped
– Easier to reverse the procedure compared to ligation (although we should go in with the mindset of no U-turn)
– Procedure only requires local anesthesia, ie safer and cheaper ( ..you will grimace more from embarrassment than pain, as you are awake and aware that everyone in Operating Theatre can see your jewels)
– No more condoms, FREEDOM for couple!
– No more counting of ovulation window ( forecasting safe penetration)
– Husband and wife can be amorous after one week, although Doctor will caution about being too vigorous (you know yourself)
– Confident that I will not produce another baby, couple can relax more and enjoy the pleasures of love making ( Hooray!)
3) So, is Vasectomy for me?
Besides the surgical procedure. There are other considerations, which will be highlighted by your specialist.
– Couple must make a conscious decision about birth control. Four kids are definitely enough for me and wife :p
– Research and shortlist the Urology clinics (and consultants) in Singapore
– Private and Public fees are different, ask whether you can claim from Medisave or insurance
– Technically, reversal of Vasectomy is possible, but we should go through with a mindset of no U-turn
– Specialist consultations will share more about the procedure and help you come to a decision. We heard stories of reversal due to Unforeseen circumstances :
a) Death of child
b) Need to harvest cord blood of new birth to save siblings
(no right or wrong answers above)
– Some men do stray after the procedure, blame the new “freedom” (same reasoning for Viagra)
– Do Google for “Side effects” and discuss your concerns with Doctor
– Although rare, there are instances of failed Vasectomy. As with all medical procedures (and condoms), there can never be 100% guarantee
4) Vasectomy FAQ
– Hard to illustrate before/after Vasectomy, see this image
– Penile functions will not degrade. You can definitely masturbate and achieve an erection ( Sexual health topics are very subjective )
– You will be able to ejaculate fluid, just that sperm is no longer present (in Army lingo, shoot Blanks)
– Fees between Public and Private can range from $800 to $2000 (estimation from 8 years ago). If you do not mind, please share latest rate with me
– Vasectomy procedure is day surgery about 2 to 3 hours, only local anesthesia is needed
– Small incisions on both scrotums are needed to disconnect the tubes. Besides slight swelling post procedure, the external wound should fully heal within months
– Not painful, only mild discomfort
– Recovery expected within a few days, but I was told to go easy on sports
So if you are still wondering whether we are planning to expand SengkangBabies, you have the answer now 🙂
I hope the above pointers would help to allay some of your concerns and fears. Naturally, the No 1 concern for most chaps are post-Vasectomy performance.
You may email me for my Doctor and additional details.
This post hopes to raise awareness about male contraception Vasectomy. If I should misrepresent some processes or my explanations are vague, do correct me. Birth control is a serious topic, pardon my attempt to inject some humour into subject.
.. updated 2017 Aug – One of my reader highlighted SGH procedure is now $2000 (Please verify)