Some call it Thieves Market or Sungei Road Flea Market.
Older folks will call it 结霜桥 (Hokkien for Frozen Bridge, not related to Walt Disney cartoon) with reference to the old ice factory.
Daddy brought two kids along to check out some goods before the area is torn down for good. Thieves Market is located at the inter-junction of Larut Road and Pitt Street (GPS 1.305145, 103.856316)
(Image credit Google map)
If you can afford a McDonald meal, it is not necessary for you to employ your bargaining skills. The old uncles will automatically discount for you when they see you hanging around with kids.
Our loot (pun intended) :p
– binoculars – $5 discount to $3
– Wrestling WWE RAW Vcds – $5 to $2.50, buy more get more discounts too haha
Thieves Market provide a meagre livelihood and more importantly a connection point for the folks. Soon, this area will be torn down for future developments.
Another piece of Singapore’s history will walk into the dust.
Do take note that this area is very hot and we were drenched within 10 minutes. If you are visiting for nostalgic reasons, 30min walk will cover the whole area.
– Do checkout 星期二特写 (Tuesday Report)’s feature about Thieves Market this Tuesday (14Oct) at 1030pm Ch8.
– Sungei Road Thieves Market is opened from 1pm to 7pm
– Sungei Road Laksa is closed on the First and Third Wednesday every month