We talk about Johor Bahru’s fabulous street food in our first post. If you are still clueless about where to start your Johor Food trail, let it be Monday evening, at KSL’s Pasar Malam (Night market).
You will get to taste everything, just bring along an empty stomach 🙂
If in doubt, consult Heng Family’s extensive Pasar Malam experience.
(middle pic below) The Green colour cylinder building is Grand Paragon, and it is the Pasar Malam’s end point. take your time, enjoy a slow 45mins eat and walk trip to satisfy your cravings. The food is cheap too !
Chui2 Kueh4 (水粿) and Muah3 Chee2, who interested?
Pasar Malam means we Walk See Shop, and we Eat along the way haha 🙂
Minimum 20min queue for the popular carrot cake. The sweet black carrot cake is 100% worth the queue.
Next to carrot cake stall was someone selling Hong Kong’s Salt Baked chicken. The marinated chicken is wrapped and heated with charcoal, will try it next time.
Xio1 Bak3 (燒肉), this is the No1 recommendation by Heng family 🙂
Crispy and addictive, we were lucky that Uncle Barry manage to grab the last batch.
Additional tips :
1) Do set your expectations accordingly, this is Johor Bahru’s side street, and you cannot expect Singapore’s level of hygiene. The sidewalks might be dirtier, the food display less appealing, get over this minor sights and you will truly enjoy your Pasar Malam Trail 🙂
2) It is safe to bring the kids along for the Pasar Malam. Do stop every few steps to ensure no one has stopped for hamburger :p
The first stretch will have cars moving in the opposite direction, hold on to the kids. Just be vigilant and ensure your belongings are secured.
3) Leave your stroller behind as the pavement might be uneven will also be jam packed at certain stretches.
4) There is minimum seating places or stools. BE prepared to stand and eat your dinner.
5) If we are popping by again, Daddy or Mummy will consider takeaway to dine in the comfort of our Room 🙂
Easier, less hassle, more comfortable, the same good food, but there would be a 30% discount in the Pasar Malam experience.
On our maiden KSL Pasar Malam trip, it was a nice experience for our families’ kiddos. Food, laughter, sharing of good food and newly acquired taste. More food photos are on SengkangBabies Fanpage to whet your appetite 🙂