We were in Penang last June, and Bao Sheng Durian farm (宝盛榴莲园) ranks high on our must-visit-must-eat list. Picture for illustration only, but the Durian buffet here is truly value for money 🙂
GPS (N5 24.1755 E10013.165), hilly terrain but the durians are worth the winding road. You will pass by Butterfly Farm and a dam on the way up. Countless makeshift Durian stalls line the road.
It is relatively easy to navigate the gradual bends, just follow the route until you see Bao Sheng sign.
Come to me Durian 🙂
We first heard of Durian Buffet through Cheekiemonkies blog.
If in doubt, just tell the waiter that you want durian buffet and they will help introduce different flavours.
My favourite is the bitter sweet Red Prawn, super creamy and delightful.
Beautiful view of the mountains and valleys. Durian farm tours (not sure whether helmets provided) and villas are available for overnight stay. (Durians normally drop at night hee hee)
Visiting Bao Sheng Durian was a first for us, the other highlight must be our Hiace 10 seater van.
Again, we first heard of Kasina from Cheekiemonkies.
When driving in a convoy in Malaysia, the biggest headache is finding a carpark space near to each other.
Rent a van, bringing two or even three families around is now so convenient.
Manual driving again, it took us a while to get use to half-clutch balance and a van’s handgear.
Kids were always looking forward to their “school bus”!
After roaming around in Penang, we packed our luggage for Ipoh.
Famous food in Ipoh is only a 150km drive South 🙂
(Image credit Google Map)
You may even detour up to Cameron Highlands or head North to Langkawi.
More tips for durian and self driving in Penang :
– Bao Sheng Durian website – do check with them for best season to visit
– We would not hesitate to recommend Kasina’s reliable service. Hassle free pickup and return. They might be cheaper rentals around but we wanted a company with good track record
– Average rental for our 2.5l Diesel Hiace van is 300+ ringgit per day
– Parking coupons for Penang cannot be used on Peninsula mainland (?? weird)
– Do pop by our Fanpage for Penang Day 1, 2, 3 and 4 photos. Day 5, 6 Ipoh is not ready.
– Driving Tips for Malaysia
– Ipoh is so near to Penang, I still prefer Ipoh’s cuisine over Penang. Try our Ipoh street food GPS and tell us whether you prefer Penang or Ipoh food 🙂
ps.. You might wish to explore our Dec 2022 11D10N Malaysia road trip too (link)
YouTube Penang road trip 2022